April 24, 2017
News and Notes
- International Night – THIS FRIDAY! – April 28, 6-8 pm
- Please join us for the April PTO meeting on Tuesday 25th at 7 pm. Our guest is Chris Deister who will be giving updates on:
- Efforts to facilitate and supplement STEAM (Science, Technology, Art, and Math) education and outreach in our school. The focus will be on recently begun work spearheaded by our ECS coordinator Leslie Fagen to create a ‘makerspace’ in the building. Many of the other schools in the district have an existing makerspace or have ongoing plans to create one. Chris will explain what a makerspace is and why you should care about it by providing some context for modern trends in STEAM education and the ‘maker movement.’ Also, Chris will discuss the specifics of this effort’s rollout and ways parents can get involved.
- The nominees for PTO Leadership and timeline for the election. Pending availability of those involved, Chris will invite some of the nominees to meet the current and outgoing PTO leadership.
- Zones of Regulation: Parent Learning Session: Thursday, April 27, 8 am
- Join Debbie Caruso, Lawrence Occupational Therapist, in the Library to learn more about teaching students strategies to regulate their emotions and bodies.
- Play Ball! Teacher’s Appreciation Luncheon
- Proposed PSB Authorized Signatures Policy
- Brookline School Committee currently has this policy under review and welcomes your feedback.
- Steve Kidd performance
- April 24, 8:00-9:30 in the Auditorium. Actor Steve Kidd presents a moving one-man performance about a boy with AIDS to students in 8th Grade.
- Used Book Fair – January-May
- New Curbside Collection Program to Recycle Clothing, Shoes and Small Appliances
- Curbside collection will begin on April 24.
- Brookline Literacy Partnership Game and Book Drive
- Now until the end of May at 115 Greenough St (BHS) in the Atrium.The Brookline Literacy Partnership, a social justice club at BHS, is hosting a game and book drive to benefit students at the Mather School in Dorchester.
- Candidates Forum
- April 25, 2017 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm.Selectmen, School Committee and Library Trustee – May 2 town election.Selectmen’s Hearing Room Town Hall – 6th floor.
- Social Justice 101: A workshop
- April 27 or May 25 at 4:15-5:45PM. Come to a Social Justice workshop for Middle Schoolers at the Brookline Teen Center.
- BHS Crash Course: The Unofficial Guide to Brookline High
- April 27, 6:30 p.m. at the Brookline High School Cafeteria.BHS Peer Leaders and their advisors will host all 8th grade students in the Brookline High School cafeteria to address important facets of the high school experience.
- The Brookline Center and Woman at the Center: Hand in Hand
- April 27, 2017 7:00pm at the Brookline Teen Center. Assemble baskets for women served by the Brookline Center.
- The School Committee will be honoring outgoing School Committee member Lisa Jackson.
- Thursday, April 27, 2017, 5:30 PM-6:00 PM, in the School Committee Room. All are welcome.
- The School Committee Meeting
- Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM in the School Committee Room, 5th Floor, Town Hall. Public Hearings on Brookline High School Expansion Design Alternatives and Town Meeting Warrant Articles 16 and 21.
- Brookline Police Chief for a Day Essay Contest
- 5th graders submit an essay of no more than 500 words answering: “If you were police chief for a day, how would you make Brookline a safer place?” Must be received by April 28, 2017.
- Coffee with Town Meeting Candidate Kate Becker
- Friday, April 28, 8:00 am. Share coffee and conversation with candidate Kate Becker (Precinct 3).
- MEDIAGIRLS will be hosting a screening of EMBRACE
- April 30th at the Showcase Superlux theater in Chestnut Hill.
- Be The Parent You Want To Be! workshop
- Starts May 2, May 30 or June 3 at the Brookline Teen Center.Foster positive relationships, reduce challenging behavior, and raise skillful, empathic kids.
- Game and Book Drive – Bring donations to the BHS Atrium!
- Through the end of May, the Brookline Literacy Partnership, a social justice club at BHS, is hosting a game and book drive to benefit the Mather School in Dorchester- Florence Liang.
- Brookline Community Foundation Announces Brookline For All Grants
- A new discretionary grants program to provide responsive and timely support to Brookline’s most vulnerable community members.
- Brookline Community Foundation Supports Opportunities for Local Youth
- This year, BCF awarded $50,000 in grants to 9 organizations through this fund.
- B’Line Fitness is growing!
- Starting April 26th at the Brooline Teen Center. Join the B’Line Fitness community! More offerings!
- Corner Co-op Nursery School Open House
- Saturday, May 13th 10:00 AM – Noon at 1773 Beacon Street (corner of Dean and Beacon).Ages 2 years 9 months to 6 years. Flexible schedule options. Devoted staff. Nut-free school.
- The Brookline Ballet School
- Spring and Summer programs and classes are now open for registration!
- BHS Girls Basketball Clinic
- June 26 to 29. For girls entering Grades 3 to 9 at the Brookline High Schluntz Gym.
- Summer Children’s Theater Program
- Spend your summer singing, dancing, acting, and having fun!
- West Roxbury School of Dance Summer Camp
- July-August 2017, West Roxbury School Of Dance: 49 Corey St.Summer Camps for Ages 5-10
Have something to share in the newsletter? Submit your request by Thursday PM to be included next week: Google Form
Follow us on Facebook! Like our page at www.facebook.com/lawrencePTObrookline.
|Harold PriceEditor-in-Chief||Nora RenthalDeputy Editor||Nagmeh AnsariPTO President|