Don’t Miss the Art Show!
MCAS English Language Arts Testing Continues
Monday, April 4: Grades 6 & 8
Tuesday, April 5 & Thursday, April 7: Gr. 4 & 7
Don’t Miss the Art Show!
Wednesday, April 6 – 5:00-7:00 pm
On the evening of April 6, our gym will be transformed into an art gallery that will highlight our school’s vibrant art program and celebrate our students’ artistic creations. Our talented trio of
art teachers, Shelly Magno, Eric Latimer and Meredith Hall, provides our students with the opportunity to explore different media, to learn different techniques, and to develop an appreciation of art – all while nurturing a voice for self-expression. Our dedicated PTO Visual Arts Committee has devoted many hours to mounting the works of 690 students.
One of my favorite educational thinkers is Elliot Eisner, the late professor of Art and Education at Stanford University School of Education. He wrote: “The arts enable us to have experience we can have from no other source and through such experience to discover the range and variety of what we are capable of feeling.”
Our school vision statement states that we want students to “discover and cultivate a love of learning and a voice for self-expression.” The arts are one avenue to bring this vision to reality.
As Elliot Eisner reminds us: “The arts’ position in the school curriculum symbolizes to the young what adults believe is important.” The Art Show is one way we demonstrate the importance of the arts at Lawrence.
Please join us.
Parent Placement Forms Due Wednesday, April 13
The form is available under “Quick Links” on the Lawrence website. Or you may just send an email to Rick Rogers.
Parent Survey Opens This Week (April 4 – 27)
Last year, the Public Schools of Brookline began to administer an annual parent survey to provide individual schools and the district with feedback about our work. We had a 65% percent parent response rate in our first year. Our School Council used the survey results from last year in planning school improvement efforts this year.
This year, the district has contracted with a company called Panorama to conduct the survey and compile the results. Here’s what to expect:
- Each parent/guardian from whom we have an email address will receive an email from Panorama on Monday, April 4.
- When you click on the link in the email you will go to a webpage that has links to the school survey that is for your child’s school. For example, if you have a child at Lawrence and BHS, you will see two links.
- Paper copies are available in the office if you prefer not to do the online version.
- Translations of the surveys are available in our six largest language groups. Families who require translation will also get an email linking to the survey in their language.
- The survey will close on April 27.