Hello Parents + Caregivers:
We have lots of exciting things happening at Lawrence!
Here is a rundown of our most recent news:
- Yesterday was a glorious day for the town-wide track meet at Larz Andersen – Caryln Uyenoyama + Gabby Mahesh led our students in a very exciting and active day.
- We had our Food Day Festival last night in the big gym and outside in the park. The parents/caregivers who organized the event really did an amazing job. There was a bicycle powered cider press, food stations galore and of course the student food competition. I was a judge along with Amber Renthal (5G), Susan Fu (KG), Tess Lessig (2R), Nathan Ma (3K), Rodrigo Caires (5E), Teo Lessig (5E), Alexander Tsekov (7th), Willem Lessig (8th) + Aaron Feinstein (8th) We got try lots of good food. Thank you for the opportunity.
Judges’ Gourd Flavor Award:
Jessica Dubin (2G), Moon Chips
Julia Price (5G), Grilled Tomatoes
Judges’ Gourd Healthy Choice Award:
Sam Loewenstein (2G), Famous Lentils
Mone Nagano (4C), Butternut Squash Soup
Judges’ Golden Gourd Award – Best of Show:
Alina Zubova Ekaterina Mironova (1L), Mushroom Salad
Popular Vote Award:
Julia Price (5G), Grilled Tomatoes
Honorable Mention, Seaweed Prize Winners:
Most Unique: Daniel Zheng (KF)- Veggie Duck
Best Presentation: Makenzie Plunkett (2GR)- Veggie Balls
Most Creative Dish Name: Max Yoder (2GR)- The Green Machine
- I got to be the Special Guest in KG today. It was a great experience and I got to add my all about me page to their class binder. Jessica Gordon and Meigan Risse have a beautiful classroom and students were happily engaged in the lesson and of course, I was beyond thrilled to be with them and enjoy their learning space.
- Lawrence will be a site partner for the World of Difference Peer Training Program; Superintendent Bott sent a letter vial email today! We are very excited to have this program for our students and to have Profe Zoe Kern leading the charge.
- Our beloved, Jurgen Brandl has been offered a Senior Custodian position at Heath. We will miss him so much. He has been a dedicated and caring member of our team. Even if the short time that I have been at Lawrence I have relied on him and come to trust him.
- Shaina Martinez is on leave. I know that for many of you and your children, Ms. Martinez is/was a tremendous support. In the interim, Jacob Page has been identified as a staff member who can support students with guidance related services. Additionally, we are in the process of interviewing candidates to cover her absence.
- Our school based GSA for 7th and 8th grade students is getting started; check out the attached letter for more information.
I am so pleased and proud of all the good work happening at Lawrence. Thanks to all of you who volunteer your time and for your support in other forms along the way.
As the weather starts its perennial shift, and the days become shorter, I am reminded of one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost who my 9th grade English teacher made our whole class memorize. Perhaps you may enjoy this as much as I do….
Two Roads Diverged
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.