Dear Lawrence Families,
This school year, members of the Public Schools of Brookline Central Leadership Team is working with school principals to participate in Learning Walks in each school. Learning walks are one of the ways that central leadership and principals are working together to build collaboration and build connections between schools. We get a sense of the strengths and see the unique culture of each school. These visits will include the BEEP and BHS as well. This helps the team get a stronger sense of the great work that is done across all grade levels in the district and supports continuous improvement.
It was a privilege to host the learning walks at Lawrence this past week.
Here are some highlights:
- Students had opportunities to talk with one another about academic work.
- Classrooms were student-centered.
- Relationships between students and staff are strong.
- Lesson objectives were shared with students.
- Lessons were focused.
- Evidence of collaboration and curriculum alignment across grade-levels.
- Good use of informal assessment of student learning.
- Use of anchor charts and word walls in classrooms to support student learning.
- Movement breaks for students.
- Opportunities for student choice in classroom activities.
- Students were asked to make connections with their learning.
- Technology use in instruction.
- Hands-on activities.
- Students’ personal lives reflected in the classroom
- Evidence of Differentiation
While there have been many research based changes in instruction over the years, a strong foundation based on Relationships, Rigor, and Relevance has provided a direct correlation to increased student achievement and in students feeling valued. Our teachers continue to learn about their craft and work hard everyday to support each and every student at Lawrence!
NEW – Lawrence Attendance Line! 617-879-4343 – Please add this number to your contacts!
Starting February 6, 2017 Lawrence will join the other Public Schools of Brookline in using an automated phone system for attendance calls. These will be on our website for future reference.
Warren L. Blair
“Inconsistency signals children that they should try harder to get away with more.” from an adapted quote on parenting
January 24 – PTO – 8:05 AM – Library – Literacy Specialists Presentation
January 27 – Family Skate Night
February 2 – 6-8 Grade Band Concert
February 3 – PTO Family Fun Night
February 6 – Winter Orchestra Concert, 7:00 PM
February 7 – School Council, 8:10 am
Sincerely, Warren Blair