PTO Supports & Enriches Lawrence
Early Dismissal Days
(12:40 Dismissal – Lunch will be served)
- Tuesday, December 1st (K-12)
- Wednesday, December 9 (K-8)
PTO Supports & Enriches Lawrence
As our PTO launches its annual Phonathon next Monday (December 7), please consider making a donation to the PTO (http://lawrenceschoolbrookline.org/pto/donate/.) The phonathon is the PTO’s major source of funding.
I would like to highlight some of the many ways that the PTO promotes family involvement and contributes to supporting our students and faculty.
Annual Financial Support
Our PTO annually provides generous funding to support teachers and programming at Lawrence, including:
- Performing Arts programs, such as last year’s Illstyle & Peace Productions, Alastair Moock: Music & Social Change, and Voce Angelica Trio. On the books for December: Ball in the House (A capella group).
- Visual Arts programs, such as the Art Show, Gr. 5 Pinhole Photography, and Gr. 8 Self-portraits
- Intramural Sports
- Mini-grants for teachers for materials and innovation. Recent grants include: Kindergarten Literacy materials, Gr. 1 training and materials for Lively Letters program, Gr. 4 Science materials, Gr. 7/8 Health new kinesthetic furniture for classroom, and NODE sensors for Gr. 6-8 Science
- Classroom supply budget for each teacher
- Field Trip (bus transportation & scholarships)
- Maintenance of the popular Fish Tank in the lobby
Our PTO sponsors many events throughout the year that help build and strengthen a strong sense of community among students and families at Lawrence. These events become important traditions in the life of the school, such as the Fall and Spring Picnics, Food Day, Japanese Food Fair, Family Fun Night, PTO Play and Fun Run. While some of these events also raise money, the primary purpose is community building.
Matters of Interest to Parents
PTO meetings focus on topics of interest to parents, including a new town-wide Speaker Series for parents or last year’s “Navigating the Middle School Years & Beyond: The Impact of Social Media, Shifting Friendships & Stress.” Past presentation by school staff have provided parents with information on our work with habits of mind, bullying preventions and teaching literacy and mathematics.
Our PTO supports effective communication between home and school, including a weekly “PTO Monday Update” email and our website. The PTO Co-Presidents Florrie Ives, and Nagmeh Ansari Varasteh meet regularly with Laura Horst and me to discuss school issues and matters of concern to parents.
For the past two years, the PTO has pooled unspent funds at the end of the year to make special major purchases, such as a cart of i-Pads, risers and Orff instruments for music, water bottle filling stations added to existing water fountains (installation provided by the Town), and upgrades to lighting and sound in the auditorium.
Lawrence Special Activities (LSA)
This parent-run program offers popular after-school enrichment classes. Registration fees cover instruction and materials. While LSA is a separate non-profit from the PTO, each year LSA proceeds are turned over to the PTO (the second highest source of income after the Phonathon).
Room parents provide informal support to classroom teachers throughout the year. The PTO sponsors two staff appreciation luncheons each year, including one coming up on December 11. It feels nice to be appreciated!
We are so fortunate to have the active involvement and support of Lawrence families. And the Lawrence PTO is the primary vehicle for making this happen. We very much appreciate your ongoing support.