Dear Lawrence Families,
This weeks Principal’s Corner will be for both October 3 and October 10 due to the short week of October 10.
Habits of Mind – The Habit of Mind for this edition is:
What is it? – Sticking to a task even when you want to give up.
Sounds like – “I think I can, hang in there, keep at it, you can do it!”
Looks like – Attending even with distractions. Trying again.
Feels like – Even though I’d like to quit, I have the strength to continue.
Some students give up when the answer is not immediately known. They crumble their paper, or say, “it’s too hard, I can’t do this!” Sometimes they write down any answer or hurry through their work, to “get it done”. Students with the habit of persisting have a method for analyzing the problem, they know how to begin. They consider the steps that must be performed and what data or information they need to accomplish the task. They are able to sustain a problem solving process over time. They are comfortable with new challenges.
“Success seems to be connected to action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes but they never quit.” Conrad Hilton
Information on Habits of Mind are taken from the book Habits of Mind by Costa and Kallick.
- Monday, October 3 – No School, Rosh Hashanah
- Tuesday, October 4 – Lawrence School Council, 8:00-9:00am, Library
- Thursday, October 6 – Halloween Costume Swap, 2:30pm
- Thursday, October 6 – Lawrence Latino Cultural Group meeting, 4:30 Library
- Friday, October 7 – Halloween Costume Swap, 1:40pm
- Monday, October 10 – No School, Columbus Day
- Tuesday, October 11 – No School, Day of Low Attendance
- Wednesday, October 12, No School, Yom Kippur
“At camp, never jump off the top bunk and expect to fly.” Becky age 8
Sincerely, Warren Blair Laura Horst