The positive vibe from the first day of school continued on Friday. Even the oppressive heat and humidity could not dampen the good spirits of students and staff as we settled back into school. Looking forward to our first full week – and cooler temperatures.
Opening of School Events
Please take note of several opening of school events that are intended to welcome and orient families to our school community.
- Tuesday, September 9 – 8:00 am – New Family Welcome
- Thursday, September 11 – 5:30 pm – Fall Family Picnic
- Wednesday, September 17 – 6:15-8:00 pm Grades 6-8 Open House
- Thursday, September 18– 6:00-7:15 pm Grades K-2 Open House
- Tuesday, September 23 – 6:00 -7:15 pm Grades 3-5 Open House
Thinking Flexibly and Other Priorities for 2014-15
Check out the work of art created by Shelly Magno in the lobby. It highlights our school-wide focus on “Thinking Flexibly,” part of a larger school goal to help students develop the “habits of mind” for life-long learning. In future columns, Laura Horst and I will write about our habits of mind goal, as well as three other areas of focus in our school improvement plan:
- Safe, Just and Caring Community
- A Culture of Inquiry, Innovation, and Continuous Improvement Using Data
If you would like to learn more about these priorities, please join us at the first PTO Meeting of the year (Tuesday, September 30 – 8:00 am).
New Leadership Contacts
We welcome the following people to three key leadership positions in the school:
- Vice Principal Laura Horst (firstname.lastname@example.org). Laura is your first contact for matters related to grades 6-8, however, as was the case with Monica Crowley, she and I will collaborate closely around all leadership and administrative matters in the school.
- Special Education Team Chair Lorri Ventura (email@example.com) Lorri is the first contact for matters related to special education. She takes over the role previously held by Amy Nevis, who retired in June.
- School Secretary Christine Kohlsaat (firstname.lastname@example.org) Christine takes over managing our school office full-time on Monday.
I look forward to a rewarding new school year together!