Welcome Back to the Lawrence School
Dear Lawrence School Families:
Welcome and welcome back to the Lawrence School! For those who are new to the Lawrence community, we extend a warm welcome. In the words of our school vision statement, we strive to be “a safe, just and caring learning community of students, staff and families. We are a vibrant learning community with high expectations for academic excellence.” We invite you to join us in bringing this vision to life.
Opening Day: School Begins MONDAY, September 9, 2013 (Note later start than usual).
Kindergarten Opening – 12:40 Dismissal on First Two Days
- In order to help children make a smooth transition to school, the first two days of school (Monday, September 9 and Tuesday, September 10) will be half-days. Children should bring a lunch and snack on these two days. Please note that in previous years, half the children would come each day. Due to the late start this year, ALL children will come BOTH days.
- Children enrolled in LEDP will be picked up in their classrooms on Monday and Tuesday at 12:40 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF SCHOOL HOURS
- Monday-Thursday 8:00-2:30 (10 minutes longer)
- Fridays 8:00-1:40* (40 minutes earlier)
*This change will create time each week for teachers to meet for collaborative planning
Other Early Dismissal Days: Be sure to take note of other Early Dismissal Days for parent conferences in November/December and April/May. These are on the official school calendar.
OPEN HOUSE DATES
Open House provides an opportunity for you to meet your child’s teacher and get an overview of the school year.
Thursday, September 19 – 6:15-8:00 pm Grades 6-8
Wednesday, September 25 – 6:15-7:15 pm Grades K-2
Thursday, September 26 – 6:15-7:15 pm Grades 3-5
Build Good Habits – Please Be on Time: School begins promptly at 8:00 a.m. Students will be marked tardy if they arrive after 8:00. Hallways open at 7:50 a.m. Students arriving between 7:30-7:50 should report to the cafeteria. Older students are permitted to remain in the lobby until 7:50.
Student Drop-Off and Parking Reminder: Please take note of the enclosed “Driving and Student Drop-Off” flyer for information on where to park or drop-off. Drop-off behind the school (via Newell Road) is NOT permitted. Please do NOT park in on-street spaces designated for Lawrence staff.
During School, Please Sign In: Doors are programmed to be unlocked 7:50-8:10 a.m. After 8:10, you must use the front door. Lawrence prides itself on its open feeling. During the school day, however, we ask that parents and visitors sign in at the office. Please help us keep the school safe and reduce interruptions to learning.
7/8 Fall Trips (Permissions slips and additional details will be sent home in the fall.)
- Grade 8 Fall Trip To George’s Island – Thursday, September 26: This is an extended day trip including a ferry ride to the island in Boston Harbor that is planned and led by school staff.
- Grade 7 Overnight Trip to the Farm School, Athol, MA – November 13/14 or 14/15. Half the grade will attend at a time. One group will leave early Wednesday morning, stay overnight and return on Thursday afternoon. The second group will leave early Thursday morning, stay overnight and return home on Friday afternoon.
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PLAN
A culture of continuous improvement is one hallmark of an effective school. Our School Council and faculty update the goals in our school improvement plan annually. The latest plan is posted on the Lawrence School website:
Monica Crowley and I will provide an overview of our school goals at the opening PTO meeting and Principal’s Forum in September.
HOW TO STAY INFORMED AND BE INVOLVED
- Check the School Website: Be sure to check our school website regularly as it serves as a primary source of school information. Bookmark www.lawrenceschoolbrookline.org.
- Receive weekly email PTO updates: Weekly email updates will be sent out to all parents who subscribe. If you are new to the school or were not receiving weekly updates from the PTO last year, send an email to email@example.com to add your name to the list. Please note that while the school has your email address, you must sign up with the PTO to receive PTO emails.
- Attend PTO Meetings held 8 times a year on Tuesdays (4 evenings and 4 mornings). Most meetings feature a focus topic of interest to parents.
- Attend Principal’s Forums scheduled 6 Thursdays during the year at 8:00 a.m. Forums may begin with a focus topic, but always include time for informal Q&A.
- Volunteer: Refer to the Parent Volunteer Opportunitieson the school website to sign-up.
- Support the PTO: The PTO enhances our school by providing resources, programs, and other opportunities for students, staff and parents that would not otherwise exist. I urge you to support and participate in the PTO this year.
I hope you were able to enjoy time to relax and be with family this summer. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions or concerns. I am looking forward to seeing you on September 9th!