Principal Search Parent Focus Groups
Thursday, January 21 – 8:00 am
Tuesday, January 26 – 7:00 pm (PTO Meeting)
The purpose of these focus groups is to get input from community members on the type of person and leader our community wants as the next principal. Please try to attend one of theses sessions. Your voice is welcome and valued.
ELL ACCESS Testing Underway
Our 128 English Language Learners participate in state-mandated testing during the month of January. For grades 1-8, students take two group sessions in Reading/Listening and Writing and one individual session in Speaking. In Kindergarten, the entire test must be administered individually. Results of the testing will be available in May. Thank you to our ELL team (Teachers Akiko Kawai, Emily Romm and Sarah Wolff and Aides Yuki Gokita and Tamotsu Nagano) for their skilled work administering these tests and to Vice Principal Laura Horst for her coordination of all the testing.
Welcome New Student Teachers
Lawrence continues to attract talented and energetic student teachers from area universities. Having teachers in training working in a school contributes to our reflective culture. Student teachers question us about why we do what we do. They bring in knowledge of current best practice and new ideas. They bring energy and enthusiasm that help keep us fresh. And, on a very pragmatic level, more adults in classrooms help us provide more individualized attention to students. The caliber of our teachers, the diversity of our school community and our proximity to area universities all contribute to Lawrence being an attractive location for teachers in training. Both our students and our teachers benefit from the presence of aspiring teachers in our classrooms.
We welcome 9 full-time student teachers this semester. Three began last week:
- Emmanuel: Justine McLaughlin (3K) &Devan Raun (3M)
- Northeastern: Stephanie Plave (3L) (former Northeastern Co-op!)
Others will begin in the coming weeks:
- Boston University: Amita Singh (2G), Shachi Risbud (Gr. 6 Science – Hunter)
- Shady Hill School Teacher Training Course*: James Hamamoto (1N), Tsekai English (Gr. 6 Math – Smid) & Jessica Antoline (Gr. 6 SS – Porter)
- UMass Boston: Ashley Power (Gr. 6 English – Avakian)
These student teachers are in addition to five full-year interns:
- Lesley University: Ellie Brennan (Learning Center)
- Northeastern: Jacob DeBoar (Psychologist)
- Simmons: Emma Briggs (Guidance)
- Tufts: Lydia Treat (Psychologist)
- Wheelock: Kayla Pulsifer (1C) & Nicole Chelman (1F)
* This is the third year of our partnership with the Shady Hill School TTC, a teacher-training program that has been preparing teachers for over 85 years and offering certification for Massachusetts public schools since the 1970’s. A cohort of 15-18 graduate students participate in an intensive year of study while completing two student teaching placements About one-half of the students elect to do their second placement in a public school setting.
Welcome Chelsea Yee, New Office Northeastern Co-Op
Each semester, we have a Northeastern Co-op student working in the office. Besides helping in the office, Chelsea provides classroom coverage when teachers have meetings and also supervises breakfast and helps supervise three lunches. Chelsea shared these fun facts about herself. She hails from San Francisco and is an avid Giants fan. She has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and loves to travel (15 countries and counting). Welcome, Chelsea!