Fostering Conversations About Books: Grades K-2
If your child is reading fiction, ask…
- What has happened so far in the story?
- What is interesting to your so far? Why?
- Who are the main characters? How would you describe them? What do the author and/or illustrator do to help you know what the characters are like?
- Who is your favorite character/part? Say more about that.
- What does this book remind you of?
- How would you describe this book? Is it funny? Scary? Sad? Say more about that.
- What is something liked or learned from this book?
If your child is reading non-fiction, ask…
- What is this book about?
- What are the most important facts in the book? Why are they important?
- What does the author want us to think about the topic of the book? Say more about that.
- Are there parts of the book that help you to understand the topic better, like pictures or maps? Let’s find one and talk about how it helps us.
- Why do you think the author wrote this book? What might they want us to do after we have read this book?